Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Home away from home

So it's been a long journey. From Toronto, to Kenora, to Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Calgary and finally Kamloops, I made it there in one piece (one very tired piece, mind you). I met a couple characters from Guelph who I became aquainted with. In return they provided me with bus munchies and a couple of sedatives to make the endless sit a tad more bearable. The craziest part of the trip was at the end, when I arrived in Kamloops to transfer to Little Fort, yet to my demise, the next bus there was at midnight, arriving at 1am. So rather than having to find a motel in Little Fort late in the night, I decided to call my boss to see whether I could be picked up. As it turned out, I had ran out of money completely, and all I had was 50 cents in change.. not enough to phone my boss' cell for the cost of $2.50. So out of desperation I asked the bus driver for some change (I felt very homeless), and she lent me toonie. Called the rents, they wired me some funds, and I was ready to roll. Finally, after waiting in this bus stop for a good three hours, a guy from our treeplanting company (Celtic) picked me up, bought me a sub, and then drove me to camp.. the bus company screwed up my baggage, so they were delayed delivery a day, and I had no tent for the night. Thus, I slept in the mess shack on a couch with a heater. It was a rough and cold night, but the delicious hearty breakfast in the morning made up for it. As for the planting, it's been a slow an arduous start for me, I'm relearning all the techniques and such, and I haven't made a whole whackload of money these past few days. The camp is pretty sweet though. I've been jamming on both the bongos and the guitar with a slew of hippy Neil Young worshippers, and chilling by a river adjacent to a very loud train. The food has been awesome too - we had Lasagna and garlic bread, pad thai, apple crumble - lots of yummy stuff. The past couple of days have been a little craptacular.. got sick, been coughing and sneezing to no avail, and had to miss out on the first bush party that night, but I'm slowly recuperating. But the work has been good. They blared hip hop beats out of the trucks while we were planting a hill, and it was hella chilllin yo. Anyway, the camp and the surrounding scenery is beautiful which makes everything a little more serene. I will report back soon with details of how the second shift of madness goes.

over and out,
Jameso

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home