Tuesday, May 23, 2006

$800 week and I feel fine

Well another shift has gone by - this one a little better than the last. I've busted my ass all week, trying to earn back the lost wages from my little sick leave, and I think I pretty much covered the costs. I've learned that the more you think while planting, the slower you go. So, these past five days I've transformed into a robotic planting machine, completely devoid of distractive thinking abilities. It really helps. You just go go go, all day long - and then before you know it, the day is over - and your in the cook tent having a feast of fried chicken.

I've been pretty lucky piece wise for the past few days - all of it has been only moderately slashy with some nice creamy land. In fact, this one piece was all just mud - with absolutely no slash like fallen trees to get in my way - boy o boy it was some sexy land. Busted out 1760 that day. In the morning I was planting 240 trees an hour, which was ridiculously fast - but then Dustin later informed me that about all of my trees were shitty. Luckily enough, I didn't have to fix them - however I did have to go back to a previous piece, were I apparently left a hole worth 60 trees... that would be due to my rigorous new mantra of not thinking. Yeha, I've reworked that.

Weather wise it has been off and on. We had about a good 5 hours of sweet sunny goodness, and then out of nowhere, like an ant flailing in the wind of a giant fart, we recieved tonnes of wind and frigid rain-like missiles. Not fun when your in a t-shirt, and your coat is back in the truck - about 2 km away. But the real kicker of hindering forces brought upon us to test our sanity has been the bugs. Swarms upon viscous swarms of tiny mosquitos. They're not like your typical easy to swat big juicy suckers, but tiny little fly up your nose blackflysquitoes. Oh the sweet joys of inhaling a handful whence I open my mouth to breathe, due to nasal congestion. This is where the not thinking attitude helps - just gotta ignore the little buggers.

I gotta say, as hard as the work is - I'm starting to love this job. It's awesome making over $200 a day, and coming back to a humongous warm meal, then play a little cards, listen to a little tuneage, and hit the tent. I'm already starting to change as a person. For instance, I now shower between intervals of 3-4 days, I feel attractive with patches of dirt on my face, and I take pleasure in eating an entire apple whole. I also consider sitting a leisure activity.

Last night we had a huge party in the cook tent - played some improvised drinking games, like the intoxicating 80's trivial pursuit drink off - it was some fun times. Not this morning though.. guh, headache city. But anyway, it's the day off - and I'm going to go hit up the pool, maybe a little hottub and sauna action in there as well. I'm also gonna try and see the Da Vinci Code today - although the theatre seems to be mysteriously closed... Ah well, that's all I have to say for now. I need to figure out my uni stuff now, so I shall blog back later with new tales of tumultuous torture in the near future.

I bid you adieu,
Jamesotronik

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home