Monday, May 01, 2006

Into The Great Wide Open

Alas, after being squeezed into the cushy confines of countless greyhound buses, passing myriads of small towns, some where the local Walmart has enough spots to employ the entire population, I have made it to my destination: Prince George, British Columbia. I have witnissed rocky outcrops splayed betwixt miniature ponds, islands with run down shacks hanging on the edge, a postcard perfect prarie sunrise which seemed to illuminate the entire universe around me, and last but not certainly least - leviathan mountains with snowy coats, on lieu to B.C. from Jasper, Alberta. Yes, I have seen it all.. well almost. In fact, I even witnessed, for the first time in my life (and hopefully the only time), a man die. I was just coming out of this greasy cafeteria after stuffing my belly full of bacon and eggs, and I just stop in my midst as I bare witness to an extremely obese man recieving CPR.. I immediately felt pretty queasy, and sorry for the guy. So that was different. I did see, however, some elk in and around Jasper frolicking in their endless grazing spots, as well as a black bear booking it across the road. One such sight which particularily surprised me, was seeing SNOW! Everywhere! I kid you not - in between Prince George and Jasper - it was like winter all over again. It felt pretty weird I tell you h'what.

The journey was on a boisteringly good start, until I discovered in Saskatoon that my wallet was no where to be found. I asked the bus driver, the lady at the station, the Manitoba station (where I used it last), and none have found it. As always, whenever something seems to be going too well for me, god has to even it out by absconding with one of my most precious possessions. But I digress, I shant let this ruin my trip or deteriorate my semi-excited mindset. I've met a ton of really cool peeps already, a few of which were kind enough to split a motel room with me. This town is just infested with treeplanters. Every five metres you'll see some dude with a backpack, or some dread-sporting hippy playing hacky sack.. it's pretty surreal. So far I've been living off my emergency dough that dad thankfully provided me with. I just bought a pair of space age hardcore plantin' boots for $200, and I'm happy to be done with shopping around for equipment. I have to go call my foreman still, and get a debit card - so I suppose I should exeunt from this internet cafe pretty soon - seeing as it's 10:00am and we need to checkout at 11.

Either today or tommorow I should be moving out into the bush, and then my adventure will truly start. My muscles shall ache, my feet will blister, my hands will blister, my mind will blister! It's gonna be cruel and unforgiving, but lots of fun on the side. So pray that I do well, and I will uh.. do the same for you.. whoever you are...

"Young James" signin' out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Nagy said...

He left, a boy. Soon he will return, a man. Mature, Jaded, Brave and strong. He has already witnessed death firsthand, there is but one thing he must do- and we all know what that is ;)

7:07 PM  
Blogger Lee "Emperor Wayne" Johnston said...

Yes, The Wayne Empire's Underground has confirmed what he must do. Goodluck James Harris

-End Transmission-
-Wayne Wayneslastname-
-Emperor, Wayne Empire-

6:47 AM  
Blogger Tenon said...

Heh hey Sanchez...how goes it over de border eh? sounds like you are getting to be one serious old tree geezer. Check out my post at http://contraryrustic.blogspot.com/ for my planting misadventures. Enjoy that weekend and watch those BC beauties!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Tenon said...

Heh hey Sanchez...how goes it over de border eh? sounds like you are getting to be one serious old tree geezer. Check out my post at http://contraryrustic.blogspot.com/ for my planting misadventures. Enjoy that weekend and watch those BC beauties!

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home